The Freeride World Tour is back for another action-packed season! 5 stops across 3 continents, all culminating in the legendary face of the Bec des Rosses in the Verbier Xtreme.
As autumn begins to quickly spread through the high mountains, the moment to announce the Freeride World Tour (FWT) 2021 calendar has finally arrived, and the world’s best Freeriders will be back again soon charging hard for the world title in a brand-new format.
4. FREERIDE WORLD TOUR FIEBERBRUNN KITZBÜHELER ALPEN
Date: March 6-12, 2021; Location: Fieberbrunn Kitzbüheler Alpen, Austria
5. XTREME VERBIER
Date: March 20-28, 2021; Location: Verbier, Switzerland
The FWT has revamped the championship format. These exciting changes will ensure the world’s top Freeriders get the best opportunity to compete for the world title and continue to push the progression of the sport into new realms. This year will see four pivotal changes:
1. Athlete qualification will occur at the third stop (instead of the fourth), making the Ordino Arcalís Andorra ‘crunch time’ for the athletes. The same numbers still go through as 2020 (best 2 results out of 3 events counts): 13 ski men, 6 ski women, 6 snowboard men, 4 snowboard women – totaling 29 riders.
2. Two runs in Austria. After a successful test last year with snowboard men, riders this year will get two runs in Fieberbrunn and keep their single best score.
3. The FWT Finals in Fieberbrunn and Verbier will be rolled out after the cut, where for the last two events, the points will be weighted 1.5. This means the winner will take 15,000 points, compared to 10,000 for the first three stops.
4. World Champions will now be crowned for their best three results out of five.