Saturday, March 4, 2017

Marcel Hirscher Takes Victory in Kranjska Gora and the Overall and Giant Slalom Globes


Today‘s Audi FIS Ski World Cup Giant Slalom in Kranjska Gora was one of the toughest of the season. Conditions on the Podkoren race hill were tough, because of today’s rainny and warm temperatures.
Today’s race was a new victory in the men’s Audi FIS Alpine World Cup Giant Slalom race in the Vitranc Cup. Marcel Hirscher won the World Cup men's Giant Slalom +0.46 ahead of Leif Kristian Haugen and +0.67 of Matts Olsson. It was Hirscher’s 44th career World Cup win. It was also his 21st Giant Slalom win. 
Austrian legend Marcel Hirscher wrote himself into the history books with today's victory in the Giant Slalom that guaranteed him a record sixth consecutive overall World Cup title.
Hirscher's sixth crystal globe bettered the record of Luxembourg's Marc Girardelli (1985, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993) and equalled the ladies' mark set by Austrian Annemarie Moser-Proll (1971-1975, 1979).
"If I'm telling the truth, maybe it is a little too much for me right now. It's very emotional and I'm trying right now to do a very professional job but I'm really, really thankful. I would like to just have three hours to myself after the ceremony to just think about what brought me to this point. It's just amazing to have six consecutive overall World Cup titles. It is a record where I have to say 'thank you' to many, many people, especially to my girlfriend, Laura, to my family, and the team around me. They were amazing".
Leif Kristian Haugen has been on the World Cup Tour for eight years already, but this season something triggered and he impressed with very strong performances in his favourite discipline, but also in slalom and in the parallel events, where he claimed two 4th places, his best results before today. At the World Championship, the Norwegian was able to prove his great shape also in Giant Slalom, by claiming the bronze medal. So it was the logical continuation for him to earn his first World Cup podium with this second place in Kranjska Gora.
"I feel obviously great. It's a career-best result and it was a rough race; I didn't get the worst light, but I didn't get the best either. I knew I had to fight hard and just not really think too much about the conditions. I think right now I'm skiing really well and I know that when I push hard, I ski my best. We've had these conditions before in the summer in Norway on the glaciers where you can't see more than a couple of meters ahead of you and it's raining so I think it's bringing back some of the stuff I've done when I was little".
In third place, Matts Olsson scores his second career podium in giant slalom, only a few weeks after his second place in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Since he came back from a severe knee injury last season, Olsson is fired up and keeps beat his own personal records, what allows him to claim the 8th place of the current giant slalom standings.
"The end result is great for me but it was a really tough race with the weather, with the snow, with everything pretty much but in the end it was great. It was raining quite a lot in the second run. With rain and poor visibility, the snow and the bumps, everything together gets real difficult. You know that the second run will not be a good feeling and you just have to fight".
 

No comments: