Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Ilka Stuhec Wins Race and Downhill Title


The not-so-overnight Slovenian sensation Ilka Stuhec held nothing back in the final World Cup downhill run of the season, winning the race with a total time of 1:36.95 and securing her first ever World Cup downhill globe with a total of 597 points. Coming into the race with a 97-point lead in the discipline standings, Stuhec could have skied conservatively, but that’s not her style.
"It’s amazing. I mean it’s been an incredible season and right now that this [globe] is here, it’s heavy. Everything else will come later, I guess," said Stuhec. "I wanted to do like every other time this season like ski the best way possible and do my best and we’ll see what comes. And ending the season with a win and a globe, it’s pretty good".Stuhec is the first Slovenian woman to ever win the downhill crystal globe, and has already locked up the alpine combined globe.
American Lindsey Vonn put on a good show for the home crowd, coming in second place, just 0.66 seconds away from the win.
"Wasn’t too fast on the splits and on the flats, but think I skied really well most other sections of the course", Vonn said. "I’m excited for tomorrow because we don’t have to ski the flats at the beginning, so hopefully I’ll be faster".
Rounding on the podium was Italy’s Sofia Goggia in third place. The Italian was the only possible threat to Stuhec’s downhill globe, and her third-place result means she ends the season in second place in the rankings with 460 points.
"It was really an unexpected season and I am really happy with the results I achieved, but still it’s never enough", Goggia explained. "Results are never enough, and I’m hungry for more".

No comments: