Saturday, February 25, 2017

Ilka Stuhec Wins Super-G in Crans Montana


After winning the Downhill Race at the 2017 FIS Alpine World Ski Championships in St. Moritz and a second place yesterday in the Alpine Combined, Slovenia’s Ilka Stuhec was able make the most of bib 5 to take her second career World Cup super-G win with a final time of 1:21.78.
Italy’s Elena Curtoni was the only athlete able to get within a second of the Slovenian, coming in second place just 0.50 seconds off the pace. Austria’s Stephanie Venier charged to a third-place result, 1.09 seconds away from the win.
Ilka Stuhec, who won the Super-G portion of Friday’s Alpine Combined, knew she could ski fast on the slope and in the warm conditions.
"The set was a bit turnier I would say", she explained. "The speed was lower, so I guess they tried to make it a bit safer, but there was still some key points where you had to do what you had to do to maintain the speed and to carry it all the way down. I guess I did that pretty well".
Stuhec is the first Slovenian woman to win multiple World Cup super-G races, and this victory puts her 100 points closer to the super-G title. She claim her 6th World Cup victory today.
Elena Curtoni was also able to ski tactically to earn her best-ever World Cup result. It was made extra special by the fact that her parents were in the audience.
"It’s always fun to have family", she shared. "I mean you can share a good moment with them. I know that even if they are not on the slope, or the finish area, they are always with me".
While other athletes struggled slightly with the course conditions, Curtoni said she enjoys the warm days.
"Snow is pretty challenging",  the Italian said. "It’s slidy and salty, but I like this kind of snow and these conditions. I always felt good on it, so I’m okay".
For Stephanie Venier, she was happy to be back on the podium for the second time in her career.
"I’m happy with the result, but I think my run was not so good", she confessed. "I made too many mistakes, but I’m happy with the podium today".

No comments: