Sunday, February 12, 2017

Ilka Stuhec is the Speed Queen of the World


Ilka Stuhec's domination in Downhill continues. The Slovenian wins the Downhill Race at the 2017 FIS Alpine World Ski Championships in St. Moritz with a winning time of 1:32.85 seconds.
Following Stuhec in second place (+0.40 sec) was Stephanie Venier from Austria. It is the third medal for the Austrian Ladies Team. Lindsey Vonn (+0.45 sec) finished in third place. She has now finished on the podium seven times.


During the flower ceremony, an emotional Stuhec kneeled before the podium as if trying to fully comprehend the importance of what she’d just accomplished and show respect for the World Champion title.
"I tried to hold back my emotions, but now they are just coming out, so I guess I will be crying for the rest of the day", she said.
The Slovenian is relatively new to the podium at this level of ski racing. She won her first World Cup this season in Lake Louise, Canada.
A World Championships rookie, Stephanie Venier landed her first World Championships medal with a smoking fast run. This marks the 40th World Championships downhill podium for the Austrians.
"I think it was a good run, and I was faster than in the trainings, and the jumps were very big, and I knew that I was fast and now I’m very happy", Venier said.
Lindsey Vonn, who was no doubt hoping to win, rounded out the podium. This is Vonn’s seventh World Championships and seventh World Championship medal. She has podiumed in each World Championships since 2007 aside from 2013 when she suffered a knee injury in the Schladming World Championships super-G.
"It’s amazing", Vonn said excitedly. "I’m so happy. This is the happiest I’ve ever been to be third place in my life. Today, I just did my best. You know, I fought really hard from top to bottom. I know I can ski better, but I think considering my preparation and my hand, my arm, I think today feels like a gold medal. I’m the oldest female medalist ever, and I think that’s the best news I’ve heard all day".

No comments: