Sunday, January 8, 2017

Mikaela Shiffrin Took her 7th Win of the Season in Maribor Slalom


Mikaela Shiffrin claimed today her 27th career World Cup victory and second Golden Fox Award for the weekend overall. Shiffrin beat out Wendy Holdener and last year’s slalom globe winner Frida Hansdotter by 0.19 seconds by 0.31 seconds, respectively.
Shiffrin matches Ingemar Stenmark’s record 27 wins before the age of 22. She also matches American Phil Mahre, putting her in third place for all-time wins among U.S. skiers, men and women.
"When I was a kid, I dreamed about being the best in the world in all the different events, so it’s always a step in the right direction to be performing well in two, at least (...) In my career, one of the goals I want to accomplish is the (World Cup) overall. I don’t know if it will happen this year, but eventually that will be a big goal for me", Shiffrin said.
Wendy Holdener has been chasing Shiffrin all season. The Swiss skier has earned five World Cup podium finishes in slalom this season and is still looking to earn a win. Her performance was even more impressive when you consider that she has been plagued by a cold for the past week.
"I had a cold", Holdener shared. "I had to rest two days because I had pain in my throat. …Then with the race and the cold temperature and everything, I had some problems yesterday afternoon. But I’m really happy with my race that I could ski that fast and not 100 percent fit, so everything is OK".
Rounding out the podium was Hansdotter, earning her first top-3 finish of the season.
"I’ve been working so hard to get back, and I really love Maribor, so it was like a good feeling from the start, so I’m really satisfied".

No comments: