Friday, January 20, 2017

Matthias Mayer Wins Kitzbühel Super-G


The 77th edition of the Hahnenkammrennen officially kicked off in Kitzbuehel with a Super-G held on the legendary Streif today. Matthias Maier clocked the fastest time, followed by Christof Innerhorfer in second and Beat Feuz in third.
Austria has been waiting for a super-g win at Kitzubehel for six years now and today Olympic Champion Matthias Mayer put an end to this drought. Getting his second super-g win in Kitzbuehel, where he already podiumed in this discipline in 2015, is a dream come true for the 27 year old skier from Gerlitzen – Kaernten.
"It’s a childhood dream come true, and I feel so happy at the moment,” said the 2014 Olympic downhill champion. “I’ve had a tough season so far. It was not easy for me after my crash last year in Val Gardena. I was fighting very hard. Now, I feel free. I was not thinking at the start. I just tried to push hard and give everything and that’s it at the moment. I’m happy!. After already taking two silver Gams trophies home, I am delighted they have now been given a golden brother".
With bib number 8, Christof Innerhofer is the surprise guest of this podium. In addition to early season struggles (best placement is a 10th place in Super-G in Val Gardena), the South Tyrolean crashed in Santa Caterina and had to sit out the following races in Wengen due to strong knee pain. He came to Kitzbuehel with the intention to try his best, but without high expectations. This ended up making his day and his second place in the Kitzbuehel super-g even more pleasurable.
"An unbelievable day. Not even I thought I would end up on the winner’s podium today, because I wasn’t sure if I could compete at all after my injury. Maybe it was a good thing that I didn’t give it too much head space".
Beat Feuz crossed the finish line in pole position thanks to a strong performance especially in the Hausberg Traverse, that allowed him to carry down his speed all the way to the finish. After finishing last years’ Super-G season with a win in St. Moritz and a 6th position in the cup standing, The Swiss skier failed to perform at its best in super-g so far, finishing 6th, 14th and 11th. This podium in Kitzbuehel, his 3rd in career (2nd in AC in 2012, 2nd in DH in 2016, 3rd in SG in 2017) gives him the confidence he needed.
"I have three Gams trophies at home now. I am certainly not planning to complain about it not being a gold one again. The Hausbergkante was the deciding section of today’s race".

No comments: