Sunday, January 22, 2017

Lara Gut Wins Third Consecutive Super-G


Lara Gut won the third Super-G race of the season in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Stephanie Venier came in second +0.67 behind and Tina Weirather took third +0.85 seconds out.
Coming into the finish area, Gut shook her head, an indication that she did not feel her run was good enough to hold onto the lead.
"Our coaches set the Super-G, and it was, for sure, more difficult than usually", Gut said. "Lake Louise was really an easy super-G and in Val d’Isere, we had a lot of space between the gates, and here it was again more technical. I had to ski with my head, and I wasn’t so clean on my lines and not even on the ski. I had the feeling where it was turny in the middle part that I should have skied more on my skis and not just a passenger of my skis, so I wasn’t really satisfied about that".
With this victory, Gut becomes one of only four women ever to win the first three super-Gs of the season and marks her 11th World Cup super-G win. She currently leads the super-G standings with 300 points while Weirather sits in second with 220 points. This win is also crucial in Gut’s efforts to close the gap between her and the U.S. Ski Team’s Mikaela Shiffrin in the overall standings. Gut now has 873 points, 135 points behind the American.
Behind Lara Gut was Venier, making her debut on the World Cup podium. The 23-year-old skier’s best result until Sunday was sixth place in Val d’Isere, France, this December.
"Everything is special", she shared. "I’m on the podium, and it’s great, and it’s feeling so good, and I’m so happy".
The Austrian continued to say that she knew she had the skills to make the podium even though she was a bit surprised with her result, and her next goal is to take the win.
Tina Weirather has also shown consistency in super-G this season, landing on the podium in every race so far.
"Today, I really didn’t feel like it was going to be a good result when I crossed the finish line, but I think it’s just my super-G skiing is by far my best discipline right now, so I don’t need to have a perfect run to be further ahead than in downhill, for example, where I ski great and sometimes I end up 10th or something", she said.

No comments: