Saturday, January 28, 2017

Hannes Reichelt Wins Downhill in Garmisch-Partenkirchen


In the final downhill race before World Championships in St. Moritz, Switzerland, Austrian speedster Hannes Reichelt found the fall line and won the 12th World Cup race of his career.Hannes Reichelt takes his first World Cup win of the season in Garmisch-Partenkirchen followed by Italy's Peter Fill (+0.16) and Switzerland's Beat Feuz (+0.52).
After the challenging day of racing yesterday, the men knew the course was nothing to be trifled with.
Arguably, no one was hungrier to improve than Reichelt, who finished in fourth place on day one, just 0.07 seconds off of the podium. He took that motivation and turned it into a victory on a slope where he also won in 2015.
"Yesterday we were surprised by the high speed, but today we knew it would be even faster", the Austrian shared. "The only question mark was on the Kramer jump, but after inspection I could see that they worked on it, and I had a good feeling".
Reichelt is the first man to win a World Cup downhill with bib one since Italian Christof Innerhofer did so in Bormio in Dec. 2008. He said that he picked bib number one for a strategic reason.
"The run is pretty tough and spectacular, so I picked number one because I prefer not to see the others going down before me", he said. "The course also gets bumpier with every racer, so I would have picked an early number anyway".
Behind him was Peter Fill. Despite not taking the win, it was a great day for the Italian, who took the lead in the downhill standings thanks to his second-place result. His 279-point total puts him 32 points ahead of Norwegian Kjetil Jansrud.
"I feel really good", Fill shared. "My skiing is really nice. It’s all easy, and I’m fast. Now, we go to the World Championships. I’m in a good shape, and I hope to go fast also there".
Feuz made his return to the World Cup Downhill podium for the first time since winning in St. Moritz last March, coming in third. The Swiss athlete will be one to watch for the World Championship race early next month as he competes in front of a home crowd.

No comments: