Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Frida Hansdotter Wins World Cup Slalom in Flachau


In Flachau, Austria, Frida Hansdotter took the fourth World Cup win of her career. She finished with a combined time of 1:51.40. Hansdotter, who has been on the podium in the last six slalom races in Flachau, loves the night slalom ambiance.
"It’s the night atmosphere", she shared. "I think night slalom is so fun, and the crowd, you can see it from the start. It’s so much fun for racing".
The Swede laid down a head-turning first run.
"No, actually I didn’t know it was that fast, but for sure I felt I had a good run. But I got a little bit scared when in the banana [delay gate] because I hooked a little bit the skis. I was like ‘Oh no!’ I didn’t get that speed over the last roller. But it was really good, so I’m satisfied", Hansdotter said after finishing the turny first-run course set with a nearly one-second advantage over Wendy Holdener. "Actually, I’m better when it’s a little bit straighter because I get more speed in, but I for sure saw it in inspection that you really need to work it every gate. So that was my only goal, so maybe that’s the secret".
In second place was Norwegian tech skier Nina Loeseth, earning her sixth career World Cup podium and her first since she earned second place in the giant slalom at Killington earlier this season.
"I kind of thought, ‘It’s all or nothing. It’s kill or be killed here,’ because it was a pretty easy course, and I felt pretty strong", said the Attacking Viking. "It was pretty intimidating, the strong girls that were starting behind me or before me in the second run, so that’s why I probably was super excited when I saw that green light".
Mikaela Shiffrin ended the day in third place, 0.78 seconds behind Hansdotter’s winning pace and tied with Holdener.
"It felt a lot better the second run", Shiffrin said. "For sure, I was disappointed with my first run, but to be honest, I try to learn from it. I really, really enjoyed watching Frida ski today. It was incredible, and it looked like she had fun and I’m really happy for her".
Wendy Holdener, who tied with Shiffrin for third place, has been a regular on the slalom podium this season, earning either second or third place in all, but one slalom when she DNF.
"It’s really exciting because a lot of girls can stand on the podium and it makes it hard for us because you have to push and go to see the green light in the finish" said Holdener, who has now collected six podiums this season in slalom but has yet to win. "I hope you will [see my best skiing] because I have a little better skiing in my bag, so hopefully I can show it".

No comments: