Sunday, January 15, 2017

Christine Scheyer Wins Downhill in Altenmarkt-Zauchensee


Austria’s Christine Scheyer charged from bib 25 to take the lead with a time of 1:21.15, 0.39 seconds ahead of Liechtenstein’s Tina Weirather. Skiing down just after Scheyer with bib 26, American Jacqueline Wiles rounded out the podium in third.
Christine Scheyer had only ever stood on a European Cup podium twice and competed in a total of three World Cup downhill races prior to the day. But she had scored in all three, with a best result of ninth in Val d'Isere, and she knew she had the potential to be somewhat fast, at least within the top 10.
"No, not that fast," she replied when asked if she knew she had winning speed. "I was fast in training, but this is amazing. ... It's great to be proud. And if an Austrian wins, I think it's the best that can happen".
Tina Weirather of Liechtenstein was holding down the leader box when Scheyer overtook her, but she was still thrilled to finish the day in second place.
"It was amazing because at the start, I knew that Lara was leading and I was like, ‘Well, this could be a revival of the Junior World Champs where I won seven hundredths in front of her.' So I was trying to believe that I could win", Weirather said. "I knew it was going to be tricky just because the light changes and also Scheyer was so fast in training that I knew that she was going to be a tough one. And she did really well, so that's fine. I haven't been on the downhill podium in almost two years, so it still feels great".
Scheyer was joined on the podium in third by another first-timer, Jacqueline Wiles of the U.S. Ski Team, whose previous best downhill result was 15th and super-G 10th. Wiles made her World Cup debut in 2013 and has been working toward a career result over the past few seasons.
"You dream of it. But for it to actually happen, you know, it’s unreal", she said of her podium finish. "After a tough start to the season – of so many expectations falling flat – I really needed this, and it couldn’t have come at a better time".

No comments: