Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Second GS Victory in Semmering For Mikaela Shiffrin


Mikaela Shiffrin takes her second victory in Semmering today under challenging conditions. France’s Tessa Worley finished in second place for the second day in a row, and Germany’s Viktoria Rebensburg made her return to the GS podium in third place. Shiffrin managed to ski with conviction through the heavy snowfall and hung on to her first run advantage, crossing the finish with a slim 0.15 second margin of victory.
"It was a big fight", Shiffrin explained in the finish. "There’s so much snow coming down. I could feel my skis in the track speeding up and kind of coming out and slowing down, so I was like, ‘Oh, this isn’t good, it’s gotta be slow.’ So I kept fighting and fighting. It was cool. It’s two victories, but in the same place. It’d be nice to repeat it at a new venue, but it’s definitely nice to feel like I can ski free for four runs in a row".
Tessa Worley now leads the Giant Slalom standings by 35 points over Shiffrin and had to fight harder than she might have felt comfortable doing in the bad visibility, but was satisfied nonetheless with another podium appearance.
"It was really, really tough", Worley explained. "I wasn’t controlling anything, I was just trying to go down and stay on my feet and I was pretty surprised that I lit the green light at the end. Happy with the second podium but really disappointed with the conditions today. It was really tough. I couldn’t push as hard as I would have done if the visibility would have been better, but you still have to push even though you don’t control anything".
For Viktoria Rebensburg, Today marks her first podium appearance since winning the final GS of last season in St. Moritz, Switzerland. Rebensburg suffered an undisplaced tibial fracture in early October and has been working to return to form ever since.
"It was for sure really important", she said of her result. "I was fighting hard after my injury to find my way back, and we kept working pretty hard and now I think it’s kind of the result, but it’s not actually where I want to be because I want to be on top again, but for sure it’s a good start".

No comments: