Sunday, December 4, 2016

Lara Gut Wins World Cup Super-G in Lake Louise


Lara Gut won the first Super-G race of the season in Lake Louise. Tina Weirather came in second +0.10 behind and Sofia Goggia took third +0.59 seconds out.
Lara Gut was more ecstatic about her downhill podium finish the previous day than her ninth career super-G victory –and third at Lake Louise – because she felt like she finally figured out the mountain on Saturday.
"I wasn't skiing really well at the top so I understood that I should change something. And from the middle on, I just tried to keep a really straight line and be aggressive on the skis. I'm happy it paid off", she said of the super-G race. "It was always a fight here in downhill. I never found the way how to be fast. Since yesterday and the past days I had the feeling I was finally starting to build something. And that's cool because usually it's the beginning of the season it took always so much energy here. I was always fighting".
Tina Weirather of Liecthenstein secured her first podium of the season in second, just 0.10 seconds behind Gut, after putting up a fight of her own.
"Yesterday I was really angry because I skied really well but I just didn't have the result. The first few had sun and then when I skied it was bad visibility, so I was really down. I tried to take that anger into skiing today, and it worked", said Weirather. "It's an aggressive sport. I mean, you have to control it – that's for sure. I was really calm today. I was not nervous. I was super focused. And it's exciting to be back on the podium."
Speaking of the podium, the appearances just keep coming for Italian Sofia Goggia who has now finished inside the top three in three different disciplines over the past week. She was 0.59 seconds off Gut's pace in the Lake Louise super-G.
"Oh, I'm pretty speechless actually. I'm pretty happy with my results even though I made a little mistake today. I made my third podium", Goggia said. "So it's like a dream for me – in three different disciplines. It's, hey, what's this going on?".

 

No comments: