Sunday, December 18, 2016

Lara Gut Wins Val d’Isere Super-G


Lara Gut won the second Super-G race of the season in Val d'Isère. Tina Weirather came in second +0.13 behind and Elena Curtoni took third +1.21 seconds out.
Lara Gut claim today her than her tenth career super-G victory.
All three athletes who hit the Super-G podium at Val d'Isere today had something to prove before leaving the French resort. After two DNFs in a row, Lara Gut of Switzerland had the most to leave on the slope and did so with an impressive – although imperfect – run to seal the retribution victory ahead of Liechtenstein's Tina Weirather. Italian Elena Curtoni matched her career-best result with third place.
"I felt good on the slope and the difference in the end was just that I realized in the last days how many amazing people I have around me. They give me so much energy, and it just made me believe that in the end it doesn’t have to be perfect. I just have to take what I have and try to give my best", said Gut. "So today I just went to the start and knew that a few things could get better. When you go out twice, it’s not the best condition to try to win a race. But I was like, that’s me, I’m just going to give the slope everything I have, and we will see".
Tina Weirather was equally seeking retribution on the O.K. slope.
"You could totally tell from just seeing the times today who was really frustrated – Lara and [I] definitely had something open with this slope and really wanted to do well and had some anger in us, and we were able to put it in the snow", said Weirather. "Today it was a tricky course because there were really straight gates and then one really cranking turn once in a while so you had to know where they were and then really go straight for the straight ones and round for the round ones. You didn’t really feel that you had a rhythm at all because it was changing so fast, and that was the secret to success".
After posting a bow and arrow analogy on her social media accounts, Curtoni explained that sometimes people have to face setbacks to move forward.
"That’s my season so far, and that’s my life so far. I think from a down moment you always come up, and it’s just to trust it and to put your heart in it", said Curtoni. "It is really hard. I was crying like a baby yesterday, so I can’t believe I was able to put my heart and my soul into the slope today. But I think it’s the right way to get back on the track".

No comments: