Friday, December 16, 2016

Kjetil Jansrud Wins Super-G Race in Val Gardena


Kjetil Jansrud’s domination in this year’s speed events continues. The Norwegian wins the Val Gardena super G with a winning time of 1:31.93 seconds. Following Jansrud in second place (+0.06 sec) was his countryman Aleksander Aamodt Kilde.Erik Guay (+0.13 sec) from Canada finished in third place.
Norway shows again is the dominant force in super-G. Last year it became the first nation to win the super-G season title 10 times. They looked to be on its way to repeating their podium sweep from last season as Aksel Lund Svindal managed to be within hundredths of Jansrud until getting twisted up and crashing through a gate at the bottom of the course.
"It’s humbling to be able to pull it off and for sure six hundredths is not much, but it’s enough", Jansrud said. "I am for sure taking risk, and I feel like I’m skiing very solid. I don’t know how long this can continue, but I’ll definitely try to keep it going as long as possible because it’s pretty fun. I think in skiing there’s always a risk versus reward and you need to take some risk, but you don’t want to take so much risk that you make big mistakes as we maybe saw with Aksel and some other guys today".
Kilde’s first World Cup podium came in Val Gardena last season when he finished third in the historic Norwegian sweep of the super-G. That result kickstarted his season, and he ultimately walked away with the World Cup super-G title and hopes that Friday’s result will do the same this year.
"I think Norway likes this slope", Kilde said. "It was really good last year with one-two-three and this year one-two. Unfortunately, we didn’t get Aksel with us this time, but he will for sure be back. It’s always fun to ski and the snow is always really, really good and today I felt pretty confident in the start. Today I showed that I can be fast, and hopefully, in the next races, I try and keep it up".
This season marks Guay’s first in some time where he is not recovering from an injury. According to the Mont Tremblant native, the extra time in the gym and on the hill this summer is already paying dividends.
"I was able to train really hard this summer and be in the gym as much as I wanted and also on snow, getting a lot more volume compared to the years before where I was coming back from injury", said Guay. "I think all that sort of plays a part in my start to the year. I feel a lot more comfortable on my skis. I’m really happy with the result, and I’m looking forward to tomorrow".

No comments: