Sunday, December 18, 2016

King Marcel Hirscher is Back to the Top of the Podium in Alta Badia Giant Slalom


It was a clear victory in the men’s Audi FIS Alpine World Cup Giant Slalom race in Alta Badia (ITA). Marcel Hirscher won the World Cup men's Giant Slalom +0.71 ahead of Mathieu Faivre and +1.10 of Florian Eisath.
Hirscher laid down two great runs to claim his first Giant Slalom victory of the season. It was Hirscher’s 41st career World Cup win, which now moves him up to fourth on the all-time victory list, surpassing Switzerland’s Pirmin Zurbriggen’s mark of 40 for fourth of all time, and matches Alberto Tomba with 4th GS win in Alta Badia.
"You always have to ski smart and you need a little bit of a routine", Hirscher said of his win. "It’s physically one of the toughest races of the year. First victory this season in a GS race, I’m super happy with this. It is inspiring, but I am not thinking about these kinds of records. I don’t know how long I want to ski, but if I’m done with skiing, I will look underneath my name and be happy".
After Faivre’s strong showing in the first run, he did not want to lose focus and did everything he could to concentrate on his performance and his performance only, trying to block out any distractions until the moment he pushed out of the start.
"It was of course a big fight and I’m pretty satisfied, of course", Faivre said. "I think I am pretty proud of my first run, I was able to really fully charge. In the second run, as usual, I tried to remain focused and concentrate. I was listening to my music until the last moment. Second run, Hirscher really put on the high level".
Sunday’s race was the 32-year-old Eisath’s 100th World Cup start and his first podium. It was an emotional day as the Italian grew up mere kilometers from Alta Badia and had family and friends on hand to witness his accomplishment.
"It’s an incredible day for me", he explained. "Twelve years ago in 2004, I had my first World Cup race here and from there, it was a really long journey to come to this podium. There was a lot of ups and downs and a lot of fighting. Today is my one hundredth World Cup race, and I am finally on the podium. I did two really good runs. For me, on the performance side, that was really important".

No comments: