Thursday, December 22, 2016

Henrik Kristoffersen Wins in Madonna di Campiglio


Madonna di Campiglio is the oldest Italian World Cup venue, as they hold a Slalom in 1966/67, the year of the foundation of the World Cup. 50 years later, the event is still running and attracting thousands of people for the traditional night race on 22nd of December.
On this occasion, the Norwegian slalom prince won his second slalom in a row, both this season with a first win two weeks ago in Val d’Isère. Kristoffersen was the fastest on both runs and charged the finish pitch to bring home his 11th slalom win.
This was his second consecutive win at this venue, putting him amongst legends Ingemar Stenmark and Alberto Tomba, who both won consecutive Madonna di Campiglio slaloms.
"I think it’s always going to be special to win a World Cup race" he said of the victory. "I don’t think I’m ever going to be satisfied. There’s so many legends that come before me and won so much more and there’s so much more you can win. Stenmark has 86 wins, so there’s a bit of road to go there".Marcel Hirscher is keeping up with Kristoffersen, finishing +0.33 off the pace. The two are playing in their own league in slalom, and with his constant and very solid performances, Hirscher was able to defend his red leader bib in the discipline and goes into the Christmas break with the pole position in the Overall, the GS and the SL standings.
"It’s a very technical course here at Madonna di Campiglio, and I have here a lot of mixed emotions", Hirscher reflected. "I celebrated here one of my biggest victories of my career. Last year, I had maybe the luckiest moment of my life, where I needed so much luck not to get hit by a drone, and today it was very good skiing of mine and I’m super, super happy with second place".In third place, Italian Stefano Gross grabbed his 10th World Cup podium. To realise this performance in front of his home crowd meant a lot to him, especially as he wasn’t in his best shape coming into the race.

No comments: