Monday, December 19, 2016

Cyprien Sarrazin Claims Victory in Alta Badia Parallel Giant Slalom


It was the second year that FIS has staged the nighttime Parallel Giant Slalom and it is quickly becoming a fan favorite with its knockout format and head-to-head format. This new discipline has been introduced last year in the Audi FIS Ski World Cup and the show was great: a very compact, TV-friendly product with lots of action and fun for the spectators!
Cyprien Sarrazin (FRA) earned today his first-ever World Cup victory. It was just his seventh start in a World Cup event and 22 year-old's previous best World Cup finish was 24th place, but tonight he was in the zone as dispatched some of the biggest names in his quest for victory, topping racers like Justin Murisier (SUI), Leif Kristian Haugen (NOR) and Carlo Janka (SUI) en route to the win.
"I have never really dreamed about wining a World Cup", said Sarrazin. "My main goal is to ski as fast as possible and enjoy it. I was just trying my best and going for it. I was so concentrated that I wasn't even looking at who was next to me".
Janka settled for second place after closing 0.10 seconds behind the Frenchman in the big final.
"I didn't expect that I would be in the finals". said Janka. "I made some steps forward with my start and that was really important today for this competition and also in the gates I had a pretty good feeling and it was fun to do this competition. It's good that I'm on the podium today and I hope I can go on in the next few races with a little bit more confidence".
The small final, with third place on the line, was an affair of bragging rights as Norwegian countrymen Kjetil Jansrud and Leif Kristian Haugen dueled it out for the final podium place. In the end, last year’s PGS champion in Alta Badia, Jansrud, topped Haugen by 0.23 seconds, to earn his second podium in as many races at the nighttime race.
"I think parallel is a fun discipline", said Janrud. "I've skied both parallel slalom and parallel GS and for sure parallel slalom is way different than normal slalom. Parallel GS is kind of similar to GS and I think it looks like there's a little bit more action to it.".

No comments: