Sunday, November 27, 2016

Mikaela Shiffrin Wins Second Slalom of the Season in Killington


Mikaela Shiffrin continued her unbeaten streak in slalom with a demonstrative victory in Killington (Vermont, USA). After leading the first run of the first slalom of the season, the Olympic champion dominated both slalom runs to finish ahead of Tour veteran Veronika Velez Zuzulova (+ 0.73) and Wendy Holdener (+ 0.86).
It was Shiffrin's 22nd career World Cup victory. She has now won in the last ten slalom races she participated in. The last time she failed to win in slalom was in Flachau in January 2015 (third).
Shiffrin, whose hometown is Vail, Colorado, graduated from high school in the state of Vermont approximately two hours from Killington.
"I put a lot of pressure on myself", Shiffrin said. "Knowing that I’ve been performing so well in slalom, I really had a great chance of winning the slalom here. And I actually really wanted to win the GS as well, but I didn’t put winning GS skiing out there".
Large crowds were entertained at the American resort by the local favorite.
"It’s amazing. It was like 16,000 yesterday and I don’t how many there are today, but it’s full and that’s so cool", Shiffrin said.
The rest of the podium had positive things to say about both the venue and the future of ladies' slalom skiing this season.
"It was a really nice race", Velez Zuzulova said. "Usually we are racing in Aspen and I can say that the crowd is never like this, so it was a really nice experience to race here".
"I think we get a step closer than last year", Holdener said of the winning leads Shiffrin has become known for in slalom. "Still she [Shiffrin] is dominant and I think the other girls and I are on the right way to get closer and closer. I think it will get thrilling this season".

No comments: