Today, Friday 26th at 18:00 in the Place du Triangle de l'Amitié of Chamonix a new edition of the UTMB will start.
The Ultra-Trail du Mont Blanc (UTMB) is one of the greatest European Mountain Trail Races. The international race takes place in one of the most incredible landscapes on the world. A breathtaking scenery of seven valleys, 71 glaciers and 400 summits like the Mont Blanc, the Dent du Géant and the rock face of the Grandes Jorasses. The athletes cover a distance of 168 km and 9,600 of positive altitude change along the famous GR TMB, within 46 hours, at an altitude ranging between 1012 m and 2537 m., crossing six passes over 2000 metres high. They will pass through 3 countries: France, Italy and Switzerland. The sporting and human achievement is remarkable: 168 km is the distance between Paris and Auxerre by the motorway; it is also the distance of four marathons back to back. The positive height gain is equivalent to twice the ascension of Everest from base camp.
- 3 countries: France, Italy and Switzerland
- 3 alpine regions: The 2 Savoie, The Aosta Valley andValais
- 19 communes: Chamonix Mont-Blanc (FR), Les Houches (FR), Saint-Gervais (FR), Les Contamines-Montjoie (FR), Servoz (FR), Hauteluce (FR), Beaufort (FR), Bourg-Saint-Maurice (FR), Séez (FR), La Thuile (IT), Pré-Saint-Didier (IT), Morgex (IT), Courmayeur Mont-Blanc (IT), Orsières (CH), La Fouly et Champex-Lac, Trient (CH), Vallorcine (FR), Finhaut (CH), Salvan (CH), Martigny-Combe (CH)
- 2300 runners (86 countries)
- Maximum race time: 46 hours
- Estimated time for the first finishers is 20 hours
- Limited to runners who have a minimum of 9 qualification points
You can Follow all the runners live on the UTMB website
UTMB 2016 route preview por UltraTrailMontBlanc