The tasks of the Council before the Congress Meeting itself included going through the agenda for the FIS Congress, reviewing reports and matters arising from the Organising Committees of the FIS World Championships and Olympic Winter Games, as well as dealing with proposals from the FIS Technical Committees in relation to World Cup calendars, the appointment of technical officials, adaptation to various rules, approval of technical courses and allocate financial support for special projects.
In addition, status updates from a number of other FIS activities were addressed including Anti- Doping matters, marketing and communication projects, the Bring Children to the Snow campaign and business reports from the FIS companies FIS Marketing AG and FIS Travel Service.
The main decisions of the Council in Cancun include the following:
A number of modifications to the FIS World Cup Calendars for the 2016/2017 season proposed by the respective Technical Committees were approved.
- 2021 FIS Freestyle Ski and Snowboard World Championships - Zhangjiakou/Genting Resort (CHN)
- 2021 FIS Alpine World Ski Championships - Cortina d’Ampezzo (ITA)
A number of adaptions to the technical rules for Alpine Skiing were made:
- Athletes on the WCSL ranked 1 to 10 will choose between bibs 1 and 19 (odd numbers)
- Athletes WCSL 11 to 20 are drawn between bibs 2 to 20 (even numbers)
- Athletes WCSL 21 to 30 are drawn between bibs 21 to 30
- Minimum ski length: 193 cm (- 5 cm tolerance only in FIS level competitions)
- Minimum radius: 30 m
- Maximum width under binding: < 65 mm
- Maximum width at the top: < 103 mm