Monday, March 21, 2016

Lara Gut & Marcel Hirscher Grabs the Overall Globe


Austrian Marcel Hirscher clinched the 2015/16 Overall Season title already in Kranjska Gora and today had the chance to formally pick up his amazing fifth consecutive big crystal globe.
Hischer completed the Herculean feat of winning an amazing fifth-straight Overall Title. Hirscher finished the season with an impressive 20 podiums, including eight victories on the season. He also picked up more hardware yesterday when he picked up the giant slalom discipline globe as the icing on the cake of a picture perfect season.
"For the first time, my team and I could come to the Finals more relaxed, not as much at the limit as the other years", said Hirscher. "The enthusiasm and all the emotions came in the last two weeks when we started to realise. We enjoyed this week much more. In my team, the expectations and the pressure are extremely high. On the one side from the outside, with media, public, etc., and on the other side from the inside, with me as a perfectionist, claiming to win the Overall. It’s very demanding for my whole team, and it’s not much fun. But I think it’s also one of the factors that made it possible to earn this globe five times in a row".
Marcel Hirscher claimed his fifth consecutive overall title on Sunday by an impressive 497 points over Kristoffersen. Despite Hirscher secured the Crystal Globe last month, he skied like he had something to prove today. Perhaps Kristoffersen claiming the slalom title with one race to go had something to do with Hirscher’s on-course tenacity on Sunday.
"It’s been a really great season for sure", explained Hirscher. "Before this season started, statistically, I had no chance to win the fifth globe in a row. I never thought that it was possible. But after a really good start into the season I thought, ‘OK, let’s go for it.’ I gave my best. I had lucky moments. I had amazing moments. I had frustrating moments. Everything was in this season and that was for sure something special".


Switzerland’s Lara Gut formally picked up her Overall globe as the top skier of the season. Gut ended up topping American Lindsey Vonn by nearly 300 points. It is her first-career Overall Title.
It’s been a long season for these athletes, especially those like Switzerland’s Lara Gut who race multiple events in an attempt to win the overall title. Lara Gut's consistency paid off this season and in St. Moritz she won her first FIS Ski World Cup Overall title. 
For a good chunk of the season, Gut and Lindsey Vonn battled for the lead in the FIS Alpine World Cup overall standings. That is until Vonn found herself sidelined by a hairline fracture in her left leg, leaving the Gut free to overtake her for a final time. The Swiss skier all but officially won the globe after the races in Lenzerheide, Switzerland, when Viktoria Rebensburg announced that she would race only three of the four races at World Cup finals in St. Moritz. Today, Gut finally held that globe in her hands.
Gut had a sensational season, earning 13 total podiums, including six victories. She was a true overall skier this season, as her victories came in three disciplines: downhill, giant slalom and alpine combined. Ironically, Gut earned the discipline globe in the super-G, but it was the one discipline where she did not have a win.
"Since started ski racing, I feel like I’m considered as a prodigy and a potential winner of the Overall", said Gut. "So the pressure has always been there. I guess I was not mature enough so far. Now I found my way, I can work and improve my skiing in harmony with my team and I learned to handle the pressure. In a crazy season like this one, with the duel with Lindsey Vonn where the lead changed almost every week-end, this experience helped a lot. I always try to do my best, and maybe it’s enough for the Overall, and this year it was the case. I’m very happy and proud to finally hold it in my hands".
For Gut, the Overall and Super G Titles adds to her impressive collection of accolades. She earned the small globe in super-G in 2014, in addition to owning four World Championship medals and one Olympic medal. In total, the Swiss star has 18 World Cup victories and 33 podiums in her still-young career.
In total, 12 individual globes were handed out at the Season Finals. The winners came from seven different nations during the very balanced and competitive season. FIS would like to congratulation all of this season’s crystal globe winners and looks forward to an exciting 2016/17 season!

Overall:
Lara Gut (SUI)
Marcel Hirscher (AUT)

Downhill:
Lindsey Vonn (USA)
Peter Fill (ITA)

Super-G:

Lara Gut (SUI)
Aleksander Aamodt Kilde (NOR)

Giant Slalom:
Eva Marie Brem (AUT)
Marcel Hirscher (AUT)

Slalom:
Frida Hansdotter (SWE)
Henrik Kristoffersen (NOR)

Alpine Combined
:
Wendy Holdener (SUI)
Alexis Pinturault (FRA)

As since 1998 on the ladies side and 1992 on the men's side, Austria took both Nations' Cup.

With today’s race the 2015/16 Audi FIS Alpine World Cup came to a close with skiers from seven different nations earning the 12 crystal globes. Next season, the entire circuit will return to St. Moritz for the 2017 FIS Alpine World Ski Championships in February, where a spectacular show surely awaits.

No comments: