Sunday, March 13, 2016

Kjetil Jansrud Wins Super G in Kvitfjell


A great speed weekend came to a closet in Kvitfjell (NOR), with the last regular super-G before the Finals. Only four athletes earned a Super-G podium more than once this season (Svindal, Hirscher, Kilde, Weibrecht), so the outcome of today’s race was wide open, and the Cup standings very tight.
Local Kjetil Jansrud, who grew up in the region, naturally knows this course perfectly and put that knowledge to good use today to claim the victory. Vincent Kriechmayr (2nd +0.17) and Dominik Paris (3rd +0.32) rounds out the podium.
The win also keeps his hopes alive for the super-G globe as he is 40 points behind current leader and teammate Aleksander Aamodt Kilde.
"I skied well yesterday“, said Jansrud. "But I didn't quite make it as fast as I wanted. Today it's other way around. I felt like I skied just a decent run and no big mistakes. I skied according to plan and it's also good for confidence that you can win with such a run. It feels like Norway was expecting this, so it’s great to deliver. It's where I grew up, then definitely, I want to win here again".
Austria’s Vincent Kriechmayr finished in second place, equaling his best career result earned last season in Kvitfjell. The 24 year-old's worst result this season is a 11th in Kitzbuehel, which puts him in second place in the C super-G standings, 37 points behind.
"I like to come back to Kvitfjell, I really like this hill. Two years ago I had my first Top 10 here and last year my first World Cup podium. It was my goal to be among the fastest racers in the super-G, but the globe was not a concrete goal. It’s going to be exciting in St.Moritz".
One athlete on fire at the moment is Dominik Paris (ITA). He took his sixth podium of the season, all coming since February. Despite the good results, the South Tyrolean felt that he had a hard time in super-G and couldn’t find his speed properly. But Kvitfjell fixed it and gave him confidence again.
"I’m feeling much better", said Paris. "I had to struggle in super-G, so to finish the season in this way really makes me happy. I don’t think I can go for the globe, but it would be great to have another strong run at the Finals. This slope suits me, I like it in Norway. I scored my first points in Super-G here, so I have good memories here".

No comments: