Monday, March 7, 2016

Eva-Maria Brem Wins Jasná Giant Slalom


Austria's Eva-Maria Brem held on to her dominating first run-lead to win the 8th Giant slalom race of the season, her third career World Cup victory.
The 27-year-old clocked an aggregate time of 2:30.60 to best Germany's Viktoria Rebensburg (+0.27), her closest rival for the discipline globe. Italy's Federica Brignone, who was third after the opening run 1.11 seconds behind Brem, rounded out the podium, 0.52 seconds behind.
"I think that today my first run was nearly perfect and the second one was quite good", Brem said. "I executed what was exactly needed to be done. When you ski very well, you get that feeling that you know how much you need to attack. Today was one of those days for me, so I am very happy".
Viktoria Rebensburg struggled with her set up in the first run and couldn't find her rhythm. She was 1.96 seconds off Brem's pace in 12th place. Together with her technician, they found the right adjustments between the runs which enabled the Olympic champion to post the fastest time in the final run and move up to second place.
"We didn’t find the right set up for the first run", Rebensburg explained at the press conference. "So I was struggling hard for sure. I couldn’t really ski the way I wanted to and I changed it to the second run and for sure, on the one side, I was really happy that I could make up so many spots now to second place, but on the other side, for sure I’m a bit disappointed that we couldn’t really find the right one for the first run. It’s better not to think about what could have happened then".
Federica Brignone skied to her sixth podium-finish this winter, make it her most successful season in her career.
"I’m really happy to podium here in Jasna", Brignone said. "This is where I did my first podium and only one in a Europa Cup. We were racing on the other slope, so I was expecting to race there, but yeah, I like the slope, I like the snow. The preparation was perfect. The crowd was perfect. I’m really happy to be here and I had a great performance".

No comments: