Saturday, March 12, 2016

Cornelia Hütter Wins Lenzerheide Super G


Austria's Cornelia Hütter mastered the 7th super-G race of the season on Saturday to claim her first career World Cup victory, in front of 6500 cheering spectators.
The 23-year-old finished in 1:14.52 on the Beltrametti course under sunny skies, just 0.10 seconds faster than local favourite Fabienne Suter. Hütter's team-mate Tamara Tippler rounded out he podium, 0.35 seconds out.
Hütter admitted she had struggled with a sore knee in recent weeks but that it felt good again in training in the last two days.
"Today is just amazing", said Hütter. "I don't now what to say. The whole season has been great and now I'm on the very top, it's unbelievable".
Cornelia Hütter and Tamara Tippler both recorded their first podium finishes in super-G this season. Tippler and Hütter finished in second and third place respectively in Lake Louise. Hütter also podiumed in Altenmarkt/Zauchensee and Tippler came in third at Soldeu.
"Tamara is actually my room-mate", Hütter explained. "Last night we were joking and said that that it could be our day today and we actually made it. She is a really good friend and it's great that she is on the podium with me".
Swiss skier Fabienne Suter came down after the favourites with bib 24 and claimed her 11th career podium in super-G, three years after the last one in St. Anton in January 2013.
"This morning I was a little bit nervous", Sutter admitted. "I didn't ski well on the warm-up hill and I thought 'maybe today it won't work'. My legs were kind of weak but I managed to change that and I am very happy with the result".

No comments: