Sunday, February 21, 2016

Tina Weirather Wins La Thuile Super G


Liechtenstein's Tina Weirather triumphed in Sunday's Super G race in front of ten thousand cheering fans. With bib 16, the 26-year-old put down a flawless run and set the time to beat in 1:17.73. She then watched her closest rivals fail to match her time. Switzerland's Lara Gut finished second, 0.57 seconds off the pace, while American Lindsey Vonn rounded out the podium, 0.64 out.
After a disappointing 35th place in Saturday’s downhill race, Weirather was eager to bounce back and showcase her exceptional talent.
"It was very different yesterday from today", explained Weirather. "First of all, I have more troubles this season in downhill than super-G. I think my super-G performances were always much better, so that was that. Also, the snow changed a lot and you know, I was really disappointed after yesterday, so I just kind of pushed the reset button and just tried it from new, and I think that worked well".
The snow conditions changed as the temperatures had increased. It was already 9 degrees in the finish area early in the morning and the course had to be salted. It held up well in the end.
"Yeah, it was bumpy, but less bumpy than yesterday, but still like different like there were turns where it was like compact snow and others where it was kind of soft, but we all knew that from the beginning", Weirather continued.
It was Tina Weirather's first win of the season, the fifth in her career.
Lara Gut also needed to put the frustration of a her 11th place in Saturday's race behind and find her rhythm again.
"Well, it’s skiing so we’re lucky we have many chance every weekend", Gut commented. "Yesterday, I didn’t ski the way I could and today I just took the chance and tried to do what you can. The course was nice. Well, the snow wasn’t easy to ski. It was really slippery, but it was a nice course set, so it was a nice super G to ski and sure I am happy about the podium. I am on the podium in super G twice in a row. I hope I can keep going like that".
The hunt for the overall gets tighter, as Gut managed to earn 20 points more than Lindsey Vonn on the day. She only trails Vonn by 23 points now: 1200 – 1177.
"I just skied a little bit conservatively because of the snow conditions", Vonn explained. "I didn't give myself enough direction and I think I lost some good speed there. But all in all I think it was a really good weekend. I fought back from some adversities and didn't pull myself out of the game mentally so that was a big victory for me".

No comments: