Sunday, February 28, 2016

Second Win For Alexis Pinturault in Hinterstoder


Alexis Pinturault, who is definitively in the flow now was unbeatable, again, on the Austrian course of Hinterstoder and clocked the fastest time in both runs. But the conditions were completely different today for the 8th Giant Slalom of the season and the second one staged on the "Hannes Trinkl" slope this week-end, First of all, the course setting by Germany is turnier than on Friday, and high clouds came in during the night, which warmed up the atmosphere and made it more humid.
In second position, the Giant Slalom King Marcel Hirscher earned its 15th podium of the season and delighted the 11‘000 Austrian fans present in the finish area.
Slalom leader Henrik Kristoffersen claimed the 3rd place in today’s race.
"It was a good run and a strong runs", said Pinturault. "Second run was quite tough on the top, it was really bumpy, the snow was not the same as two days ago but I tried to push really hard and it seems to be one of the most perfect races for me. There is still three GS races so anything can happen, but it is going to be difficult, Marcel is too strong for me".
Marcel Hirscher secured 80 more points for both the Giant Slalom and the Overall ranking.
"Three races to go and hopefully I can gain many points next weekend, that would be amazing", said Hirscher. "I think Henrik is in a position that the overall is open until the last race of the finals. So many things are going forward in alpine ski racing and if you are not working each day on your performance, you will lose on your confidence".
Henrik Kristoffersen found the flow again and skied some very stronge sections. With this podium, he stays close to Marcel Hirscher in the battle for the Overall World Cup.
"280 points behind Marcel in the Overall is a lot", said Kristoffersen.“"I have only 5 races left, and Marcel is unbelievingly fast, even in Super-G, I think there is no chance… But I don’t focus on the Overall, I just focus on the next race. I look forward to Kranjska Gora. There is no long flat there, the course is steeper and I think it suits my skiing better. I’m ready and I’ll try to win races there".

No comments: