Sunday, February 7, 2016

Lara Gut Wins Garmisch Ski World Cup Super-G.


Lara Gut wins Garmisch Ski World Cup Super-G. Viktoria Rebensburg came in second just +0.15 behind and Germany's Lindsey Vonn took third +0.23 seconds out.
Lara Gut gave it all out in the second run to claim her 17th career World Cup win in challenging snow and weather conditions. Gut has completed a dream weekend for the Swiss Team after Carlo Janka victory in Jeongseon Super-G.
The 24-year-old managed to get her rhythm back and ski with a free mind to clock the winning time of 1:20.51.
"Yesterday, I wasn’t really skiing", Gut said. "I wasn’t doing what I can. Today was just about less thinking and more skiing and yeah, that was the answer. I just tried to ski and it went out the way I wanted. I felt great, so yes, everything is fine again".
Lara Gut's career-best result in Garmisch was fourth in the downhill in 2013.
"It’s always fun to be on top and it’s the first time I am on the podium in Garmisch, so that’s something different", Gut continued.
Local favourite Viktoria Rebensburg of Germany raced another impressive run to her fourth consecutive top-3 finish, the second in two days on home snow.
"It’s so cool", Rebensburg said. "Being on the podium twice in a row here in front of a home crowd. It is unbelievable. The crowd was cheering so loud for us and it was just a nice atmosphere. I’m really thankful and I’m really enjoying this moment now".
Lindsey Vonn rounded out today's podium.
"You know, it was tough conditions today", Vonn commented. "The snow was soft and like spring and I didn’t risk everything. I probably could have, but I don’t know. I fe el like I’m older and wiser now and to get to the finish healthy and be in third is still a pretty darn good day and the Broncos game’s tonight, so if they can win, it’ll make up for my third place".
With three super-G wins under her belt this season going into today's race, Vonn was poised to become the first woman to win the first four super-G events of a World Cup campaign.
"I can’t win them all", Vonn said at the press conference. "I tried my best to ski my best every day and I think I’ve done a pretty good job so far this season. You know, today was just not one of those days where I really felt like putting it all on the line. I’ve had a great season so far and I want to keep it going, so it’s better to be safe than sorry".

No comments: