Sunday, February 7, 2016

Carlo Janka Wins Jeongseon Super-G


Swiss Carlo Janka claims the win in the South Korean venue Jeongseon ahead of Christof Innerhofer (2nd +0.82) and Vincent Kriechmayr (3rd +1.06).
Janka fully took advantage of his low bib and took over the lead from bib 7 on. With this win, the Iceman, who won the Overall World Cup and became both World and Olympic Champion in 2009/10, earns his first Super-G win, which is also his 11th career win.
"It was not an easy Super-G today", said Janka. "I took some risks and everything worked out. The course had some difficult things in it, some jumps and some waves, but I took it and did a good run I think. That was the key today for me".
Italy's Christof Innerhofer made it to the podium for the first time this season. After several good results in downhill this season (4th in Santa Caterina, 5th in Wengen, 4th in Garmisch) his 13th career podium surprisingly came in a Super-G race.
"Everyone knows that super G is different than downhill", said Innerhofer. "and we saw in inspection that it will not be an easy super G, especially on the first part. I looked at Carlo [Janka] on the TV and said, 'Oh, those are good lines,' so I tried to do the same. I had a good feeling in the middle of the run. My feeling was good and it wasn't bad skiing and when I crossed the finish line and saw the second place and I had a really big smile".
Austria's Younggun Vincent Kriechmayr from Austria rounded out today's podium, +1.02 off Janka's pace. The current 4th of the Super-G standings laid down a strong run and skied to his 2nd career podium.
"I'm really proud about the result today", said Kriechmayr. "I was fast in the last Super-Gs, but I'd always make a little mistake and today I didn't make a mistake, so it's third place. I always like tricky and difficult courses, and today it was like this. The waves are not easy and the jumps, all together it was a really hard and difficult race. I'm always smiling when I see something like this".

No comments: