Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Veronika Velez Zuzulova Wins World Cup Slalom in Flachau


In front of a huge crowd with more than 10'000 cheering fans, 68 racers battled it out under the lights in difficult conditions for the sixth Slalom of the season. In the lead after the opening run, Slovakia's Veronika Velez Zuzulova, didn't let anyone prevent her from earning her third Wolrd Cup victory. She finished in a combined time of 1:46.58 to edge out her nearest rivals Czech Republic’s Sarka Strachova and Swedish's frida Hansdotter both respectively +0.31 and 1.05 seconds off the pace.
"I had to stay calm and focused before the second run and I managed it, so I am really happy to be on top of the podium tonight, because I had to wait a long time to win again", Zuzulova told reporters.
Veronika Velez Zuzulova’s fast skiing paired well with her husband’s second run set on the Hermann Maier course, sending her to her first win of the season.
"It was a really nice course, and it was the first time that I skied the course of my husband (in a World Cup) … so I am really happy that I managed to win", said the newly crowned Snow Space Princess. "It will be a nice memory for us".
Sarka Strachova of the Czech Republic, who sits second in the overall slalom standings, finished the evening in second.
"I am really happy about this second place, even though I could have skied faster", Strachova said. "I feel really good this season. I’m healthy and the results are going my way".Sweden's Frida Hansdotter, the most consistent slalom skier and winner of last year's race in Flachau, struggled with the soft snow and rutted track in the first run and had to be content with rank 6. The Swede moved up to third place after an aggressive second leg.
"I am satisfied with my second run", Hansdotter confessed. "I had a hard time in the first run but for sure you need to be able to ski well in all types of conditions. So I can't only blame myself for this. But I am so much better when the snow is harder and you know what you can do and ski the way you want. There is one more race on Friday and I am really looking forward to having another chance and taking revenge". Hansdotter concluded.


No comments: