Sunday, January 10, 2016

Lindsey Vonn Wins World Cup Super G in Zauchensee




Lindsey Vonn triumphed at Zauchensee. After winning both legs of a downhill doubleheader, she totally dominated the first super-G of 2016.The 31-year-old American didn't let anyone come close. Second and third place went to Lara Gut and Cornelia Hütter who were respectively 0.70 and 1.25 seconds off the pace.
Lindsey Vonn extended her super G win streak to four with this victory. Despite some initial doubt, Vonn absolutely crushed the course for her 73rd overall World Cup victory.
With the victory, Vonn closed to within 38 points of Gut’s overall World Cup lead. She credits her two-victory success this weekend to a long break back home in Colorado over the holidays with family and friends.
"I had a lot of confidence after Lake Louise and then in Val d’Isere I felt like I lost my confidence a little bit after going out in the downhill,",she said. "I went home, I had a good break and I feel energized again. I feel really good mentally and physically, and I think that showed in this weekend’s racing".
"It’s a perfect start to the New Year", she added. "Hopefully I can just continue on in this direction and hopefully just keep winning".
Overall World Cup Lara Gut, who failed to finish yesterday's downhill, was eager to put that disappointment behind and came in second place, 0.70 seconds adrift.
The Swiss ace really threatened Vonn's lead until the last intermediate time but made a mistake in the lower section.
"I am happy to be skiing well again in super-G. In Lake Louise, the only super-G we had, the way I skied it was terrible, so I’m happy to be back and do what I can. Sure I made a big mistake and I lost a lot of time in from the last split to the finish, but that’s skiing and it’s better to be second with a mistake than trying to win, but you have no idea what happened. I can work on that".
Austria's Cornelia Hütter continued her fine form and raced to her fourth podium this season. The 23-year-old is still chasing her first career World Cup victory.


Super G Zauchensee 2016 (73rd WIN) par lindseyvonnfans

No comments: