Sunday, January 24, 2016

Lindsey Vonn Wins Cortina d'Ampezzo Ski World Cup Super-G.


Lindsey Vonn wins Cortina d'Ampezzo Ski World Cup Super-G. Tina Weirather came in second just +0.69 behind and Germany's Viktoria Rebensburg took third +1.15 seconds out.

Today in Cortina d’Ampezzo, Italy, Vonn skied one inch closer to the all-time wins record, earning World Cup victory No. 75 and her 27th super G win. Her victory comes as no surprise, considering she has now won six of her last seven World Cup super Gs at this classic venue.
"This place is incredibly special for me and I’ve broken quite a few records here now", Vonn recalled. "I enjoy the time here. I’m always confident when I’m in the starting gate, and I think that shows in my skiing. So I wish we had more races here. I wish we could race every weekend here, but I’m looking already forward to next season".
The really big news of the day involves the overall World Cup points standings. Vonn has regained her lead, moving ahead of former leader Lara Gut by 45 points after the Swiss skier finished fifth for the day.
"Yeah, I mean I already have as many wins this year as I did in all of last season, so it’s definitely gone extremely well for me so far", Vonn said. "But it’s a challenge to be able to reset and bring that much intensity to every race. So for me it’s important to press the reset button everyday. Relax. Now, I get to spend time with my dog, but also watch Law and Order. I just need to kind of escape from ski racing for a few hours to be able to calm down and then, you know, get ready again for the next day".
For Lichtenstein’s Tina Weirather and Germany’s Viktoria Rebensburg it was their first time back on the super G podium this season, thanks to their individual abilities to execute on the technical course. The German has not been on the super G podium since she won in Cortina in 2013, while Weirather’s last podium finish in the discipline – a third palce – was at the same venue in 2015.
Weirather is happy with her skiing, knowing that Vonn seems to have the upper hand right now in speed.
"I think right now she is just one step ahead of all of us", Weirather said about the Speed Queen. "And I mean it’s tough to accept that, but it is the way it is. We can try risk it all on a run and maybe if she does a mistake, we can beat her. But if she has a good run and I have a good run, at the moment, she’s going to be faster. I for sure work on it and maybe I can beat her, but for right now, she’s faster".

No comments: