Saturday, January 30, 2016

Aleksander Aamodt Kilde Wins Downhill at Garmisch


Aleksander Aamodt Kilde takes his first ever World Cup win in Garmisch followed by Slovenia's Bostjan Kline (+0.22) and Switzerland's Beat Feuz (+0.24).

"It's an unbelievable feeling", said Kilde. "I was hoping for a top 10 today with number 30. While I was skiing I was really hoping for a good time because I felt like it was fast and conditions were holding up really good. Crossing the finish line with green numbers, that's crazy".
A surprise also came up on second position with Slovenia’s Bostjan Kline, who’s best World Cup performance so far was a 13th place in Santa Caterina last season.
"I knew that the race was not over as the best guys were coming down", said Kline. "But it was amazing standing there in the leader box. I'm very happy, very satisfied. I felt good, when I saw the time and saw that I was ahead of Weibrecht I knew it was a good run, but I didn't expect a podium or anything even close".
Right behind these two young guns (Kilde and Kline are only 24 years old), Beat Feuz confirmed that he’s back in the game after missing the start of the season due to a knee injury. Only one week after a 2nd place in Kitzbuehel’s downhill, the Swiss is back on the “to-watch” list in the speed disciplines.
"In the upper part I didn’t feel very well, I didn’t have much training this season, so it’s hard to find the rhythm right away when I drop in the course. But in the lower part I felt that my skiing was fast and that I could keep the line. You’re legs are starting to get tired at the bottom, and that’s where I was fast, maybe I’m in a better shape than the athletes that competed since the beginning of the season, I don’t know. In the end it was good for a podium and I’m very happy about it", said Feuz.

No comments: