Saturday, January 16, 2016

Aksel Lund Svindal Dominates the ‪Lauberhorn‬ ‪Downhill‬ in Wengen

Aksel Lund Svindal dominates the Lauberhorn downhill race in Wengen today as he raced to his sixth victory of the season, topping Hanned Reichelt by 0.19 seconds. Rounding out the podium was Klaus Kroll +1.52 seconds off the pace.
Norway’s Aksel Lund Svindal is quite simply a force to be reckoned with in downhill this season. Of the five World Cup downhill races contested so far, he has claimed victory in four. His only slip up was a seventh-place finish last month in Santa Caterina.It was a tricky day on the Audi FIS World Cup tour, with the weather challenging the Organisers. In the morning, heavy snow was falling and the decision was made to lower the start to the Alpine combination start. The sun came out just in time for the race, but after about 20 skiers, a dense fog rolled in midway down the mountain, forcing a lengthy delay.
Svindal came down wearing bib 18 and skied through the start of the fog, but it had little effect on him as he was nearly flawless on the run and crushed the rest of the field.
"It was hard today, but I just focused on finding the best line and skiing a clean run", said Svindal. 
Reichelt was the next skier and also put in an excellent effort and looked very happy to land 0.19 seconds behind Svindal. It was Reichelt’s second podium of the season as he also finished in second place in the Santa Caterina downhill.
"I can say I love this hill and this slope", Reichelt said. "Today was really a tough race with the visibility. I was really on the limit from the start to the finish area. I think it was one of my best runs, but Aksel had a better one. In Langentrejen, there was fog. It was really tough to see the next gate and I said to myself, ‘Ok, you have to risk that.’ I had to just focus on skiing fast".
"It was a fast run that Aksel had today and I was really happy to come down and see that I was so close to him. Second place today for me is a good result", added Reichelt.
Before Svindal and Reichelt came down with the top times, Kroll held the lead for most of the race, but he ended up finishing 1.52 seconds behind Svindal. Despite the large margin, Kroll was still happy with the podium finish, his first since 2013 in Lake Louise.
"It was good enough today, (...) It was a long time ago, the last time I was on the podium, so I’m very happy with the result today", Kroell said. "My run was really good and I skied good today. The difference today was I made no mistakes, my skiing was really good. Confidence is back for sure".

No comments: