Friday, December 4, 2015

Svindal Takes Third Race Victory in a Row


The race week-end in Beaver Creek started with an amazingly sunny day. A big crowd was present at the Talon Stadium for the second downhill of the season and cheered for the athletes coming down the famous Audi Birds of Prey racetrack.
One man was the man to beat today, not only because he is a multiple globe-winner, but also because he won both speed races staged so far this season. And today, he did it again! Norway’s Aksel Lund Svindal clocked the fastest time in the Audi Birds of Prey downhill 2015.
"Today’s race was tough with lots of rollers. The course setting was really fast but with those perfect conditions it’s not a problem, you can ski fast. Kjetil already said that yesterday and after watching his video, I knew that he is very strong here and I knew I had to do a perfect run if I want to go for it. I did some mistakes yesterday, and I pushed really hard today to win this race".
The last time Svindal managed to win three races in a row was in 2007, when he was victorious in the downhill, super G, and giant slalom at World Cup finals in Lenzerheide, Switzerland.
Jansrud totally agrees on the tough conditions today, and knows where he lost the time that cost him the win.
"It was faster today, a little more icy, a little more wavy under the foot everywhere so it was tough to ski and it was one of the fastest Beaver Creek downhills we've had in many years. As you can see in the splits, I was losing in the top split so apart from that I was skiing good, so I'm happy, but Aksel just did something unbelievable up top, so that's where he won the race".
The podium was rounded up by Frenchman Guillermo Fayed. Thanks to his regularity last season, he could claim the 3rd place of the downhill standings, but only made it to the podium twice so far (2nd in Lake Louise and 3rd in Kitzbühel).
"I’m relieved that I claimed this podium spot today, especially since it’s not happening very often to me, but I still have to work a lot to catch up with the two guys in front of me. I’m almost surprised by my regularity and I wonder when the bad day will come, in the meantime I just enjoy being there day after day".

No comments: