Sunday, December 6, 2015

Lindsey Vonn Makes It Two at Lake Louise


USA's Lindsey Vonn raced to an epic second World Cup downhill victory in as many days. She clocked a time of 1:50.43 seconds on Saturday, in flight light conditions. Switzerland's Fabienne Suter finished second, 1.05 seconds back, while Austria's Cornelia Hütter confirmed her fine form with a another podium and came in third, 1.16 seconds off the pace.
Lindsey Vonn's focus was on trying to charge but avoiding the mistakes she made in the first downhill race on Friday.
"Today I tried to limit my risk but at the same time my skis were so fast and the light was really flat and also it was a little more bumpy today, that I was kind of hanging on for dear life", Vonn told reporters. "I felt like I was trying to be aggressive and trying to still ski solidly but nothing was kind of going my way. I have to look at video and see how it actually was compared to what it felt like. I think Heinz (Hammerle) is doing an amazing job. My skis were really fast today".
With that career 69th World Cup victory, Lindsey Vonn has strengthen her confidence in her current shape.
"I still don’t think I’m quite to the form that I was in 2012", Vonn added. "The season that I won the four titles. I was so confident in all disciplines. I feel like I’m pretty confident right now but I think I could still be better, but I’m still happy with where I am (...) That’s why I love what I do, because when you’re in the starting gate it’s you against the mountain and you can push yourself as hard as you want to", Vonn said about her continuously pushing the limits." I still want to push as hard as I possibly can. That’s what I love. I love the adrenaline. I love the speed. I love the thrill of it, and when the light’s flat and it’s bumpy it’s that much more exciting for me. Just because I’m older doesn’t mean I’ve lost any desire to continue to win and to continue to ski fast".
After a fairly disappointing season with no podium-finish in 2014/15, Fabienne Suter was on the verge to announce retirement. She proved today she made the right choice to finally continue her career.
"It took a long time to come back onto the podium," she said. "I am just so happy right now, enjoying every moment".
Her last World Cup podium dated back from 13th January 2013 in St. Anton super-G.
"It wasn't really easy today", she commented on her run. "I saw at the start that the light was getting bad. But I heard that some girls before me had good results so I knew everything could be possible and tried to attack. That was my goal and I think I didn't make out to badly".
For the second time in as many days, Conny Huetter joined Vonn on the podium, this time taking third. The Austrian who is already having the speed season of her career after only two races wasn’t even a skier until the age of 10.
"From (age) five to ten, I only snowboarded. So that was a little bit different from the other ski racers. And then at 10, I thought that it would be a good job to earn my money with this – to have fun and be outside in nature. So then I trained a lot. At first I was slower than the others because I did not have as much training, and then I got better and better. And now I’m here!", Huetter exclaimed with a smile.

No comments: