Sunday, December 20, 2015

Eva-Maria Brem Wins Giant Slalom in Courchevel


Eva-Maria Brem gave it all out in the second run to finally secure her first World Cup victory of the season. She finished in a combined time of 2:01.72 to beat Nina Loeseth and Lara Gut. Loeseth made up time on the course and managed to tie Gut for the second place. The duo finished in 2:01:89.
After finishing in second place in the last two giant slalom World Cup races in Aspen and Åre, Brem took that momentum into today's race to clinch her second career World Cup victory.
"Every season I just need that one moment when everything gets together, that one run, like the second one in Aspen when I felt 'this is how I need to keep this working", explained Brem.
"I knew what I had to do, but waiting at the start was tough,” Brem further commented. “That second victory was beautiful too and that made me cry".
Nina Loeseth skied to her career-best result and admitted she was surprised that it happened in giant slalom as her only two other podiums came in slalom.
"I am very happy today", said Loeseth. "It's very inspiring for me and my team-mates to see the (Norway's) men's team perform so well and how they are skiing, pushing so hard every race. So I just try to do the same".
Fired-up by her two consecutive wins in Val d'Isère, Lara Gut concluded her weekend in style as she raced to her second podium in giant slalom this season.
"It's been a great weekend for me", Gut said. "I feel good in GS this year, even though it was a bit complicated in Åre. When I won in Aspen, my confidence was boosted. I knew I could be fast in GS again".
"Today I managed to forget about what I did yesterday and just focus on today's race", she continued. "It was the first time since a while that I could start in the top seven and I just had to give it all out. In the first run, I skied well on top and bottom but drifted a bit too much in the middle section. In the second, I tried to be clean all the way and then realised it is feasible to get 80 points even if you're tired".
Lara Gut now sits atop the overall rankings with 558 points, 58 ahead of USA's Lindsey Vonn who came in 13th position on the day, 1.63 seconds adrift.

No comments: