Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Adrien Theaux Wins World Cup Downhill at Santa Caterina


The Downhill in Santa Caterina proved as exciting as expected with Adrien Theaux skiing an excellent race clocking the fastest time.
In second place, Austrian Hannes Reichelt laid down possibly his best run of the season and crossed the finish line 1.04 seconds behind Theaux while French David Poisson rounded out the podium, finishing 1.15 seconds behind.
The 4th downhill of the season was a tough one. Many athletes struggled with the bumps of the Deborah Compagnoni slope of Santa Caterina and were exhausted as they crossed the finish line. The athlete setting the pace on this course was indubitably Adrien Théaux.
"I am very happy about my race today", said Théaux. "It's a fight everywhere on the race, when you cross the line, you don't know your time, it's impossible to know if you are fast or not. I am happy because I tried to push a lot on the top and, yeah, it was good. It was perfect".
Austria’s Hannes Reichelt claimed the second position in this downhill, after showing strong performances on the two training days. However, like in the past days, the feeling is not really good on this rutty slope.
"Today, the feeling was not so good. I had some parts where I'm really lucky that I'm standing here and didn't have a crash. It was really a tough race today", said Reichelt. "I'm happy about the second place because Adrien made a really good job today, so I couldn't reach first place today. That was the best skiing I had today".
In third, David Poisson surprised everyone. After a medal at the World Championships in Schladming, the Frenchman had a hard time to confirm on the World Cup Tour. Today was his first World Cup podium, with the closest previous result a fourth in the Kitzbuehel downhill in 2013.
"Since the beginning of the weekend the feeling is not really good because the slope is really, really difficult, really tough", a satisfied Poisson said in the finish. "I’m quite happy with the way I skied because I needed a big run since the beginning of the season. I take a lot of pleasure from the ski, but I always made some mistakes so it’s not so good for the confidence. Today I said, ‘OK, normally the conditions are good for you so just go, just try, forget your brain.’ I’m quite happy because the run went not so bad with the conditions. It’s really tough, you can’t really say you enjoy it, but I know when it’s like that I’ve got a chance".


No comments: