Saturday, December 19, 2015

15th World Cup Victory for Lara Gut


The 15th World Cup win for the 24-year-old all-rounder was her third in Val d’Isère after her Alpine Combined victory yesterday. Following Gut in second place was Fabienne Suter only 0.16 seconds behind. In third place was Canadian Larisa Yurkiw.
Fired up by her victory in Friday’s alpine combined, the Swiss ski star tackled Saturday’s downhill with high ambitions. While favourite Lindsey Vonn failed to complete the course, Gut skied at her very best, beating compatriot Fabienne Suter by 0.16 seconds.
"This is my third win in Val d’Isere and it’s not by chance. This race is a bit of fresh air for me. I feel good here", she said at the finish.
Gut won the Val d'Isère downhill in December 2012, her first downhill World Cup victory.
Thanks to her 15th World Cup victory, Gut (478) is now only two points behind Vonn (480) in the FIS World cup overall standings. "My double here is great but it’s not going to change my life. I must take each day as it comes and keep working. It’s still a long season", she insisted.
The last event in the 60th Criterium de la Premiere Neige was a good one for Swiss skiing. In second place, Suter confirmed her current downhill form after her runner-up spot two weeks ago in Lake Louise.
"I was extremely nervous at the start and I’m really happy about this result. Now I must stay consistent", Suter said.
Canada’s Larisa Yurkiw took third place for the second podium in her career.
"I made a few mistakes but it was good enough. I’m especially happy to make a podium in such a classic stage of the circuit. The ski conditions were exceptional", Yurkiw commented.

No comments: