Saturday, March 7, 2015

Tina Weirather Wins Downhill at Garmisch


Stunning weather and snow conditions welcomed the 43 racers on Saturday for the seventh downhill race of the season. Liechtenstein’s Tina Weirather produced a superb performance down the very well prepared Kandahar piste, clocking the winning time of 1:40.94.
The 26-year-old, who was already the fastest in the training run on Friday, earned her first World Cup victory of the season and the first ever career downhill win.
"I always look forward to coming to Garmisch-Partenkirchen", said Weirather. "I like the hill and I have been successful here already. But to win my first downhill is very special. It has always been one of my big goals. Achieving this today brings a lot of emotions (...) There was pressure on me because I was the fastest in training and also because there were a lot of people who came to support me. My family and friends were there and a lot of people representing my sponsors as well. So I really wanted to perform well. But it was important to stay calm and focused on what had to be done to win this race. I am very happy it worked out like this".
Anna Fenninger's incredible run continues as she has finished either first (3 times) or second (4 times) in the last seven World Cup races she has entered.
Coming off an impressive weekend in Bansko with a double victory, Austria's Anna Fenninger came second, 0.51 seconds behind Weirather, closing the gap in the battle for the overall with Tina Maze, who finished third, 0.91 seconds out.
"I am happy to be on the podium again and that I can show my best skiing in every race", said Fenninger. "It was a great day for me. It important to stay in shape and focused. The battle for the overall is intense. Tina is fighting hard for the big globe and I will try to fight until the end too. But for the moment she is still leading. I have to see how well she does in slalom. We will see what happens then. For now I just have to carry on like today and score big points".
Tina Maze, who won the last time a downhill race was held in the Bavarian ski resort in 2013, climbed onto the podium for the 10th time of the season.
"My run wasn't perfect today, but standing on the podium is for sure still a good result, which I am really satisfied with", said Maze at the press conference. "I made a mistake in the upper part and lost some speed there. I used shorter skis than yesterday because the course was quite turny and the speed wasn't that high. It took me some turns to find the right timing with the shorter skis".

No comments: