Thursday, March 19, 2015

Lindsey Vonn Takes Super-G Victory and Title in Meribel


Lindsey Vonn picked up her second Crystal Globe at the Audi FIS Alpine World Cup Season Finals after winning the super-G, 28 points and 0.49 seconds, ahead of Austrian Anna Fenninger. Only eight points separated the speed queens entering today’s race, making it a fight to the finish.
Fenninger came down with Bib 15 into first place with a time of 1:08:19. All the Austrian could do was wait and see what Vonn would do four racers later. By the second interval it was clear that Vonn was on top of her game as she already built a 0.41 advantage. By the time she crossed the finish line, she held a 0.49 lead and cruised to her second speed title of the 2014/15 season.
"Anna put a lot of pressure on me. I knew she was leading when I was at the top and I just skied as hard as I could", said Vonn. "I was definitely on the limit, especially at the bottom. I just attacked like I had nothing to lose. I’m just thrilled with the win today and the second Crystal Globe this season".
It was an amazing 19th-career Crystal Globe for Vonn and her fifth-career super-G title. It is also the fifth time that Vonn has won both the super-G and downhill titles in the same year, a record in ladies’ skiing. Today was Vonn’s eighth speed victory in an amazing comeback season and her tenth podium.
"I think this year was up-and-down", said Vonn of her comeback season. "I didn’t have a chance to get in a lot of training because of my injuries. But when I have training and I have confidence, I ski like I did this weekend".
Tina Maze (SLO) finished in third place behind the duo in both the race and in the super-G season standings.
The competition between Vonn, Fenninger and Maze was tight this season in downhill and super-G. While Fenninger and Maze were the darlings of the FIS Alpine World Ski Championships in February, Vonn stole the speed spotlight at this weekend’s Season Finals.
But the attention will soon turn back to Fenninger and Maze, who are locked in a tight race for the Overall Title. With both finishing in the Top Three today, it did little to help predict a clear favorite heading into the weekend’s giant slalom and slalom. Fenninger holds a very slim 32-point lead over Maze setting up a thrilling finale on Saturday and Sunday. Vonn is well off the mark, trailing the two by 411 points in third place.
For both the men and the ladies, this year's downhill and super-G globes were swept by one skier. Vonn earned both speed titles for the ladies, while Norway's Kjetil Jansrud did the same on the men's side.

No comments: