Sunday, March 8, 2015

Lindsey Vonn Regains Super-G World Cup Lead in Garmisch


Lindsey Vonn mastered the 2180 meter super-G course on Sunday to celebrate her 65th career World Cup victory under sunny skies. Vonn came down in 1:16.65 to edge out the overall World Cup leader Tina Maze (+0.20) and Anna Fenninger (+0.36) at the top of the timesheets.
Lindsey Vonn bounced back from a 7th place in the downhill on Saturday.
"Yesterday was a little bit disappointing", said Vonn. "I came out today with a good attitude. I just really wanted to ski my best and to really attack. And I did that".
The super-G course was set by Tina Maze's Italian coach Valerio Ghirardi which Vonn obviously also took advantage of.
"I think it was set probably against Anna", Vonn explained. "That was a wise choice by Tina's coach. But it also really suited me and I liked it".
Going into the race, Lindsey Vonn was 32 points behind Fenninger in the super-G standings. With today's win and Fenninger's third place, she reclaimed the red bib and leads now by 8 points. Vonn claimed the World Cup in this discipline in four successive seasons from 2009 to 2012.
"It's going to be a close fight in downhill and super-G, so I will really have to ski my best at the Finals in Méribel. Hopefully I can get two titles", Vonn concluded.
Tina Maze's produced a very strong performance on the day to regain the 20 points she lost to Anna Fenninger in Saturday's downhill.
"Of course it's a great result but I prefer to win", Maze admitted. "Lindsey was simply better today and she deserves this win (...) My whole team stands behind me and supports me and I am really thankful to them. Valerio did a great job setting the course. It was a fast and nice course set with not too may turns. My run today was much better that the one of yesterday and that is very satisfying".
World Champion in super-G, Anna Fenninger raced to her 12th World Cup top three finish of the season and her eighth podium in a row.
"I am happy with my podium", said Fenninger. "It was a fast super-G and that's maybe not what I am the best at. Overall it's been a good weekend. Honestly I thought Tina was going to be better than me in the downhill and that I would catch up in the super-G. It turned out to be different".
"I am focusing on my strengthens, this is why I am not going to race slalom next week. Now I have to train giant slalom in order to show my best skiing and maximise my chances to win the giant slalom globe".

No comments: