Sunday, March 8, 2015

Kjetil Jansrud Takes Victory in Kvitfjell Super-G


The last speed race before the Finals in Meribel couldn’t have been more perfect for Kjetil Jansrud. After struggling to find the right pace over the last couple of weekends and missing multiple opportunities to secure one of the speed season titles, on Sunday’s super-G everything fell into place for the Norwegian. On a challenging course, heavily impacted by the unseasonably high temperatures in Kvitfjell, Kjetil Jansrud skied the perfect run and not only won the race but finally secured the super-G title.
"Everyone expected me to secure both globes here in Kvitfjell. That didn’t happen yesterday with the downhill. I was a little disappointed but that’s part of the game. I wasn’t angry or anything. Grabbing the win today is good for my confidence. I know I can win races again — it’s been tough the last few weeks", he said.
The course quickly got rutty, favoring early starters but despite his bib number 19 Jansrud managed to push through the ruts and soft snow to finish in 1 minute, 37.44 seconds. In second place, young Austrian Vincent Kriechmayr made the most out of starting 5th and after finishing only 0.24 seconds behind Jansrud claimed his first World Cup podium finish.
"I’m really happy with the result today. Kjetil is the fastest guy in the super-G this season, so it’s OK to finish second behind him. I made a mistake and I know that was the difference between us. Bib No. 5 was really good. The conditions were not easy; the course was not easy. … Second place is the best I ever had, so I’m proud of my result", Kriechmayr commented.
The Norwegian World Cup stop proved really successful for the Canadian team as after Manuel Osborne-Paradis placed 2nd in Saturday’s downhill, on Sunday it was his teammate’s time to shine. Dustin Cook showed he was one to watch earlier this season when he won silver in the World Championships super-G and today he once again laid down a strong run and finished third, 0.33 seconds behind the winning time. 
"I got a little lucky with the draw starting early", said Cook. "I definitely was on the limit and maybe a little over the limit on the bottom here. That definitely cost me a lot of time. But I think it was good skiing. I’m super psyched obviously".
Two Canadians on the podium in the same weekend has been a rare sight over the past few season, making today even sweeter.
"We have a really good history here. It seems we really like this hill and it suits us, so why not? I’m really happy with how the season went. I’ve got four more races in me and then I’m going to the beach".

No comments: