Saturday, March 7, 2015

Hannes Reichelt Wins Kvitfjell's Downhill


The downhill race in Kvitfjell proved as exciting as expected with Hannes Reichelt once again being the man to beat. His 1 minute 29.65 seconds long run earned him his third downhill victory of the season.
In second place, Canadian Manuel Osborne-Paradis laid down possibly his best run of the season and crossed the finish line 0.30 seconds behind Reichelt while Italian Werner Heel rounded out the podium, finishing 0.38 seconds behind.
Reichelt has been on a roll over the past few weekends, finishing on the podium in every downhill since returning to Europe from the World Championships.
"I’m not a machine. It’s just running really good at the moment, like Kjetil had it at the beginning of the season", Reichelt tried to explain the success.
While Reichelt entered today’s race as one of the favorites, Osborne-Paradis was hardly a top contender for the podium as after finishing second in Lake Louise in November he didn’t manage to earn a top 15 finish in downhill the rest of the season.
"Pretty sweet way to end such a terrible season", said Osborne-Paridis. "Now it’s not so terrible. I’ve been talking with my coaches, having a really tough time getting over not being 100 percent. The last two races I’ve been kind of feeling normal. … On our team, we have a theory if you’re over 30 and out of the 30, you should go get a real job, so I’m glad I was able to step up my game".
And today seemed to be payback day not only for Osborne-Paradis. Heel has had a rough season so far as apart from two seventh and a tenth place he kept finishing far out. But in Kvitfjell things seem to simply fall in place for the Italian and today was no different.
"I love this course. I had my first victor here in 2008 and I’m back to the podium here in downhill", said Heel. "For me, it was a great day and I hope I can repeat this tomorrow in the super G. … I’m not sure what changed for me here in Kvitfjell. When you have a course that you have good memories, it’s always cool. The last month was very down. I came back here and had a good feeling in the first training run and I’m happy I was able to bring it on race day".

No comments: