Monday, March 2, 2015

Another Victory for Anna Fenninger at Bansko


The ladies' World Cup tour extended its stay in the Pirin mountains, due to the rescheduling of a cancelled super-G race. The racers could finally enjoy good snow conditions and sunny skies on Monday for the 5th super-G race of the season, which proved to be once again a thrilling battle between the two dominant actors, Anna Fenninger and Tina Maze. The Austrian made it two in a row by putting down a flawless run to edge out Maze at the top of the timesheets.
Anna Fenninger timed 1:14.59 to earn her second career World Cup victory in super-G, while 31-year-old Slovenian was 0.16 seconds off the pace.
"Today was a pretty good day", said Fenninger. "The course was difficult and technical, which suits me well. The track was hard and we could feel the snow under the skis".
"It is new for me to win in two different disciplines in two days", Fenninger added. "Yesterday was really special with the slalom run in the alpine combined. It's so good to win a super-G again because I have two gold medals at the Olympics and the World Championships, but won only one World Cup super-G before today".
The 25-year-old has won the last three races she has entered since returning from her successful campaign at the World Championships.
"I am in really good shape now and I want to show it everyday. That's my motivation".
Tina Maze bounced back from disappointing recent World Cup results with her second runner-up spot in two days, amassing precious points in the battle for the overall.
"I had three zeros on my account in my last three World Cup races", Maze commented. "I am happy I managed to secure some points theses two days. Being on the podium twice here was really important for me and my self-confidence. Now I feel good and I am happy about it".
Winner of the last two super-G held at Bansko in 2009 and 2012, Lindsey Vonn joined Fenninger and Maze on the podium. She finished 0.28 seconds out.
"After a bad day, comes a good day (...) I’m happy with today’s race, it was definitely difficult, but the snow conditions were much better today and I definitely made some mistakes on the top part of the course", said Vonn. "But I thought my skiing on the bottom was really good and I’m looking forward to Garmisch".

No comments: