Sunday, March 1, 2015

Anna Fenninger Wins the Alpine Combined in Bansko


In the lead after the super-G run, Austria's Anna Fenninger managed to hang on to her position after a very solid and impressive slalom run, earning her first career World Cup victory in an alpine combined race.
Fenninger finished in an overall 2:05.06 to beat second-place Slovenia's Tina Maze by 0.39 seconds. Austria's Kathrin Zettel trailed Fenninger by 1.06 in third.
"It's incredible to think I won my first World Cup alpine combined today", Fenninger said at the press conference. "After the first run, I didn't believe this could be possible. I am really surprised. I had such a cool feeling coming down the slalom course".
Topping the podium in a combined event is nothing new to the 25-year- old, as she won the super combined at the 2011 World Championships in Garmisch.
"I am actually really proud of today's result, because the last victory in Garmisch was already four years ago", Fenninger added. "It's been a long time since I did ski extremely well in slalom".
Anna Fenninger has been on a tremendous run, as she has ranked second or first in the last five races she's entered.
"I know I can ski fast", she added. "To be consistent, it's a mental thing. It's not always easy for me to find the right rhythm at the beginning of the season. The point is too stay focused. I put all my energy into every race and don't think about anything else".
The opening super-G run was interrupted multiple times due to poor visibility and hence the slalom run was delayed by almost two hours.
"It has been a long day, that's why we look tired", said Maze smiling. "It was tough to ski. Being focused all the time waiting to go down these three days was easy. They only let us down today. I was actually really happy that we could race today and feel the terrain even though it wasn't that nice".

No comments: