Saturday, February 7, 2015

Tina Maze Wins Ladies Downhill in Vail-Beaver Creek 2015


Tina Maze (SLO) continued her march towards skiing history with her gold medal in the Ladies Downhill at the 2015 FIS Alpine World Ski Championships in Vail and Beaver Creek.
The four-time Olympic medallist and most successful Slovenian Olympian of all-time, held on to her advantage from the morning's first run, although Anna Fenninger (AUT) went desperately close to snatching her second gold medal in two races. Lara Gut (SUI) was just 0.34 seconds away, taking bronze.
The top three were in a league of their own today, demonstrating their strong technical abilities on the demanding Raptor course.
On Tuesday Anna Fenninger, the defending World Cup and Olympic Super-G champion, built the bulk of her lead on the top of the course, but it was slowly erased with each interval as she squeaked across the finish line a mere 0.03 seconds ahead of Tina Maze (SLO). This time around, Maze ended up on the right side of the clock besting Fenninger by a mere 0.02 seconds.
"It’s a nice battle between Anna and I, it makes it fun for us", Maze said. "The course, even though it was warm, was perfect. The snow was hard and it made it really nice to ski here today".
"I was at the start watching Anna skiing down and knew she would be the one to beat. So I saw her having a really good run and I knew if I came down winning that it’s a good sign. I didn’t know what to expect from Lindsey since she didn’t have a good training yesterday, but still I knew Anna would be the one to beat today", said Maze. "I just have to go day by day, turn by turn and discipline to discipline. The timing is important that I get it and then I can, for sure, be a contender for each event so hopefully I can do that".
The only other athlete in the field who could match the technical prowess of Maze was Anna Fenninger, who almost pulled out her second straight win with what looked to be a flawless run.
"Today I was so close to the win. Tina was better today. She had a really good run", admitted Fenninger. "I’m really happy that I can take the silver medal because in the downhill it was always so difficult for me at the World Champs and also at the Olympics that I can show my skiing. Today was perfect".
After winning both events on the Raptor last season, many viewed Lara Gut as the one to beat. The Swiss skier knew this race offered her a golden chance.
"I was happy with a medal. It’s always good to have a medal. But, it’s always sad when you’re not satisfied with your skiing. Sochi was the same and today is the same. I’m happy to have a bronze medal, I’m just disappointed that I didn’t bring everything that I could. I made a stupid mistake on the top", said Gut. "I just have to learn from that. I have to work harder, and I have to get tougher, and I hope one day I will be able to do what Tina or Anna are doing, just to bring everything at the right moment".

No comments: