Sunday, January 18, 2015

Lindsey Vonn Ties All-time Win Record Set By Annemarie Moser-Pröll.


After Friday’s shortened Downhill, the ladies got to race from the top on Sunday in stunning conditions. With bib 20, USA's Lindsey Vonn needed "a couple of turns to figure out the snow" but then charged down the Olympia delle Tofane course to finally set the time to beat in 1:39.61. Running with bib 22, Austria's Elisabeth Görgl was the fastest in the top two sections but made a small mistake in the lower part and crossed the finish line in second position, 0.32 seconds back. Italian veteran Daniela Merighetti, who won her first and only World Cup race in Cortina Dowhnhill in 2012, rounded out the podium, 0.54 seconds off the pace.
With her 32nd career World Cup win in downhill earned on the day, Lindsey Vonn equalled Austria's Annemarie Moser-Pröll's all-time record of 62 World Cup victories, across all disciplines.
"I was a little bit nervous in the start", the 30-year-old confessed. "I thought I skied really well on Friday, but it was tough conditions and I wasn't enable to be on top of the podium. Today was kind of the same, the snow was soft but at least it was sunny. I just tried to keep my feet underneath me and not to push the skis against the snow too much and it worked out (...) I try to win as many races as I can. Every time I'm in the starting gate I'm trying to win, whether it's 60, 61, 62 or whatever it is, I just try to sky my best. So it was more frustrating just talking about this record in the media. But for me mentally it was the same as any other race. Now I'm happy we can stop talking about it".
Elisabeth Görgl landed her third podium of the season after a super-G win and a second place in the downhill, both in Val d'Isère.
"I think it was a great race today", she said. "I am happy we could race from the top. Workers did a great job to make it possible.
I felt I was right on the money after the first gates. I did well on the top but it was overall a great run all the way down. I heard I was a little bit faster than Lindsey in the upper part, but it was so much fun that I'm for sure really happy
I like courses with really nice turns, when you have to mix technique and speed, which is the way it is up here in Cortina. But there are still things I can improve on this course and I will watch Lindsey's video to see where she was faster".

No comments: