Saturday, December 6, 2014

Kjetil Jansrud Wins His Third Race In A Row At Beaver Creek


Kjetil Jansrud’s domination in this year’s speed events continues as after winning back to back the Lake Louise races, the Norwegian found the perfect line on the Birds of Prey and claimed the top step on the podium for the third time in a row. He crossed the finish line 0.054 seconds ahead of Beat Feuz and 0.56 ahead of Steven Nyman.
"There is not much more to tell than that Norway won four out of the five races held so far but it’s hard for me to analyze this. All I know is that for me winning three in a row is a fantastic feeling but it feels weird at the same time too",  Jansrud tried to explain his and his teammate’s success.
"It’s weird because I know there are really strong guys around me, there is lots of talent in the start gate so winning today with half a second is a bit unreal. Downhill can be quite stressful when you are out of shape, but for me these days it feels like I am so in control of what. It almost feels as if I’m slow as I am ahead of things. This downhill is really fun, there are big jumps and lots of speed and today instead of being worried about approaching the Golden Eagle I was looking forward to it and it’s a great feeling", Jansrud said.
Beat Feuz is slowly making his comeback from a nearly career ending knee injury and infection and after almost breaking back into the top 5 in Lake Louise last week he stepped up his game today and earned a podium finish, his first since a 2nd place in the Schladming downhill in 2012.
"Skiing well in Lake Louise was important for me and I came here with a lot of confidence. I did not push too much in the training runs and finished over 1.5 seconds behind but today I held nothing back and I am really happy it paid off (...) The Birds of Prey is a great downhill for me, I was 2nd here already behind Bode Miller three years ago and I am excited I’ll be back here in two months for the World Championships", he continued.
Beaver Creek has been good to Steven Nyman in both 2006 and 2007 he experienced the thrill of a podium in his home country. But in recent years the American has struggled to find the right setup on the Birds of Prey and often finished outside the top 20.
"Its huge to be back on the podium today, it’s a huge confidence builder. Already last year I knew I was fit and strong but somehow I didn’t feel as if I was fully aligned. So, after last season I worked on my setup and finding what works best from my boots to my bindings and up, and now I finally feel really confortable on skis again. I feel like I can finally move forward and believe in myself more. This morning I was not really confident, I was very nervous but I knew I had a nice clean course with n.6 and I had to use this to my advantage", Nyman said.

No comments: