Lonely Planet, the web portal for experienced travellers, selected 10 cities around the world that one must have visited in 2015. Zermatt is ranked fourth.Zermatt celebrates "150 years of the first ascent of the Matterhorn" throughout the year. The opening of the newly renovated Hörnli Hut at the foot of the Matterhorn, activities, celebrations and the world’s longest culinary spread will honour the mountain of mountains. And the story of the first ascent of the Matterhorn can be experienced up close and personal at the Zermatt open-air theatre production of "The Matterhorn Story".
The Matterhorn (4,478 metres) was long considered too difficult to climb. On 14 July 1865, the British climber Edward Whymper reached the top together with three mountain guides and three English.
Edward Whymper was the first to reach the top. He was followed by the mountain guide Michel Croz (from Chamonix), the Reverend Charles Hudson, Lord Francis Douglas, Douglas Robert Hadow (all from England) as well as the Zermatt mountain guides Peter Taugwalder (father) and Peter Taugwalder (son). During the descent of the first climbers, the front four-member rope team (Croz, Hadow, Hudson and Douglas) fell to their deaths over the north wall while still above the shoulder. Three of the bodies were recovered a few days later on the Matterhorn glacier. The corpse of Lord Francis Douglas has not been found yet.
The tourist development of Zermatt had its beginnings here.
150 years later, the Matterhorn still stamps its imprint on the village at its base. In 2015, Zermatt will celebrate the mountain and the alpine tradition with events, experiences, festivities and special offers.
Lonely Planet ranked Zermatt fourth in the category of the "Top 10 Cities".
The 10 best Lonely Planet cities, which one must have visited in 2015:
- Washington D.C., USA The best museums, among others, the Smithsonian
- El Chaltén, Argentina Glaciers and mountains
- Milano, Italy Expo 2015, "incredibly stylish" city
- Zermatt, Switzerland Open-air theatre on the first ascent "The Matterhorn Story" (9 Jul-29 Aug 2015); reopening of the Hörnli Hut (13 Jul 2015), epoch week 1865 (10-19 July 2015).
- Valetta, Malta 450 years since the "siege of Malta"
- Plovdiv, Bulgaria One of the oldest cities in Europe
- Salisbury, England 800 aniversary of the Magna Charta in the cathedral
- Vienna, Austria Festivities marking the construction of the Ringstrasse (Burgring) in 1865
- Chennai, India The gateway to southern India, temples, museums, "Kollywood"
- Toronto, Canada 2015 Pan American Games host city